Gratitude is sometimes something that must be learned. It might take you a while, but in the long run it will definitely make a difference in your life. Today, think of all the ways that you can show gratitude. Could it be just saying a kind word to someone? Then notice your change in attitude. I’ll bet that you’ll notice how much better it is and how that in turn gives you better results!
This is something so pure and easy, and yet it continually awes me at how important and wide-reaching the results are.
Here is a simple exercise that I use in my life that has gotten some amazing results.
- First, write down 10 things you are grateful for.
- Next, find as quiet a place as you can, and just settle in to your own space for 5 minutes.
- Now, ask for guidance for the day. You can ask yourself, a higher power, or just offer the request as a general thought.
- After this, send love to anyone you have difficulties with, including those people with whom you may be experiencing any emotional pain.
A simple shift is all it takes!
William James said it best:
“The greatest discovery of this generation is that you can alter your life by altering your attitude of mind.”
Pretty cool, right?
You can change your life just by changing your attitude!
- Don’t just go through the motions: Journaling can be very effective if you first make the conscious decision to become happier and more grateful.
- Go for depth over breadth: Elaborating in detail about a particular thing for which you’re grateful carries more benefits than a superficial list of many things.
- Get personal: Focusing on people to whom you are grateful has more of an impact than focusing on things for which you are grateful.
- Try subtraction, not just addition: One effective way of stimulating gratitude is to reflect on what your life would be like without certain blessings, rather than just tallying up all those good things.
- Savor surprises: Try to record events that were unexpected or surprising, as these tend to elicit stronger levels of gratitude.
Let me know how you show gratitude!
Image credit: The Law Of Attraction Library