Don’t Fall Victim To The Myths About Commitment
Are you a steadfast bachelor or bachelorette? Do you value the freedom that being single provides?
There’s a good chance that you have beliefs about commitment that simply aren’t true. If you’re brave enough to examine those beliefs, commitment might start to sound more appealing.
A committed relationship isn’t the right choice for everyone, but many singles harbor negative attitudes about relationships that aren’t justified.
Examine Your Beliefs Regarding These Common Relationship Myths:
1. Being in a committed relationship results in less freedom. This is partially true. You do have fewer choices in certain areas of your life. For example, you lose the option of pursuing other romantic relationships. You also might be forced to spend every other Thanksgiving with the in-laws.
• But consider the freedoms you gain. You no longer have to search for a mate. No more bad dates. No more spending countless hours online searching dating profiles. No more wondering if the other person is going to call the next day.
• You may have more financial freedom by adding a second income to your financial situation. You always have a ride if your car is in the shop. You have someone to share the housework.
• If you choose wisely, you actually gain a lot of freedom by being in a committed relationship.
2. A relationship leads to boring routine. Couples do tend to fall into routines, but that routine doesn’t have to be boring. It might seem boring to a single person, but sitting on the couch watching old movies with the love of your life isn’t a bad way to spend an evening. It beats surfing the internet alone.
• What is your current routine? Is it enjoyable, or merely comfortable?
3. Commitment is a form of giving up. Settling down isn’t the same as settling. It’s not necessary to sacrifice your needs or dreams in order to be part of a relationship.
• Figure out what you want. Then figure out what your partner wants. If those things can coexist, commitment isn’t an issue. You can keep your uniqueness and your dreams. The other person’s uniqueness and goals make life even more interesting.
Commitment requires confidence. If you’re ready to improve your confidence and become more open to committed relationships, click below to get a confidence boosting meditation as a free gift.