Relationship Arguments Will Happen, Be Prepared To Deal With Them
All relationships have disagreements. When disagreements occur, fighting fairly can ensure that the situation improves, rather than deteriorates. Relationship arguments may not be completely avoidable, but they are manageable.
It’s not easy to remain calm and polite when you feel you’ve been wronged. But the alternative doesn’t provide for a positive outcome, at least not for long.
Fight fairly, and your relationship will endure challenging times!
Try These Techniques:
1. Listen. You can’t fight fairly if you don’t understand your partner’s point of view. Talk less, listen more. Keep your self-talk to a minimum. When you’re listening to yourself, you can’t be listening to anyone else.
• Take turns speaking. Let your partner say their piece and then respond. You’ll have plenty of time to get your point across.
• Ask open-ended questions to ensure you have the full story.
2. Be kind. You won’t accomplish anything by being unkind. You might be seeing red, but your words shouldn’t convey that sentiment.
• If you can’t be kind, consider postponing the discussion for another time. Most disagreements can wait.
3. Avoid making assumptions. It’s easy to think you already understand the issue completely. But your partner may have a completely different perspective. You don’t know what another person is thinking until you’ve given them a chance to share. There may be information you don’t know yet. You can’t read anyone’s mind.
4. Avoid personal attacks. The moment you attack another person, they become defensive. You’ve immediately eliminated any chance for a constructive resolution at that time. Address behavior and the issue at hand. Avoid attacking the other person directly.
Often times, people attack others personally when they are unhappy with something pertaining to themselves. One great way to overcome this issue is to become more comfortable and confident with yourself. Meditation can help you do this rather simply. Click below to get your meditations as a free gift.
5. Be honest. Tactfully present your opinion and feelings. If you’re not brave enough to be honest, the situation will continue indefinitely. You can do it! Take a deep breath and be honest.